Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Text has Landed

For almost 48 hours, my kids have finally entered the real world of American communication--texting.

Two weeks ago, Scott said if they cleaned up the kitchen every day including dishes, wiping the table/counters and sweeping, all without complaining and fighting, he would start the family text plan. Of course, they were all supposed to be doing the above chores anyway, but the key phrase was “without complaining and fighting.”

“I don’t want to hear you argue over who does more or who does less,” he commanded, “If you want to text, then do it all even if your sibling’s not cooperating. I don’t want to hear about it!”

So our middle child, Kai, took it upon herself to win texting for herself. And she did a great job—my kitchen hasn’t looked so good after dinner in 14 years—in fact, it probably hasn’t looked so good ever.

When she complained and her siblings both said, “I don’t care about texting,” she shut her mouth and kept cleaning. And I gave both siblings long lectures that negated the whole point of not getting aggravated around family chores.

So on Tuesday, Scott called AT & T and turned it on, then texted them to break the news. Here are the family texts I’ve received in these 48 momentous hours since:

Tuesday:

Scott (1:50 p.m.): Text away!

Scott (2:43 p.m.): Huh? No response?

Kai (2:49 p.m.): Mom I can text now. Wanna go out for ST [special time]

Kai (3:09 p.m.): THANKS DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Ling (8:25 p.m.): Come get me plz

Wednesday:

Kai (7:17 a.m.): Heyyy mom

Kai (2:19 p.m.): Hey

Kai (3:30 p.m.): My sister is a stinky diper. Oops lol

Ren (4:02 p.m.): Can you help me with a little math and the memory book thing for sp. [special time again]

So the earth hasn’t stopped, they haven’t committed any major faux pas (to my knowledge), our communication continues verbally with a little digital enhancement, and I haven’t seen any great addition to their social life. In fact, I think Ren, the 10 year old boy, is the one who’s texting his one friend the most, maybe not surprising in light of male communication patterns.

So far so good. But watch out kids if that kitchen doesn't stay clean!!!

No comments: