Friday, August 12, 2011

Grazing Our Way through Paradise

"What do you want to do while we're in Hawaii?" I asked the kids before leaving Boston.

"Bubbies mochi ice cream!"

Bubbie's
"Matsumoto's shave ice!"
Matsumoto's Shave ice

"Char Siu Bao!"  (Manapua to locals, but hey, my kids aren't locals)

Char-siu bao aka manapua
"Genki Sushi!" (Sushi comes out on a rotating conveyer belt and you grab what you want to eat)
Genki Sushi's conveyer belt















The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  No talk of beaches or quality time with grandparents (at least not initially), only talk of food.

When I called my brother to wish him happy birthday, I also asked, "What should we do while we're here?"

He needed no translation.  He didn't suggest windsurfing or the paddleboarding or hiking Manoa Falls.  Instead, he launched into a list of dishes and restaurants to try--garlic chicken, malasadas (Champion vs. Leonard's), fresh fish, etc. . .

I've tried to limit us to one treat/day while we're here, so I warn the kids to think ahead.  Don't eat the gigantic chocolate almond crusted ice cream bar from Costco if you want shave ice later!

But what to do as the mom who can't afford to eat a treat a day without blowing up like a balloon?  The same mom who gained 5 lbs in 4 days eating on a Kauai mother/daughter get-a-way?  Not to mention that I WAS on the I-diet.

But I'm in paradise, catching up with friends and eating the food of my childhood.  Yum.

Come to think of it, still haven't gotten to those malasadas yet. . .

2 comments:

Ling said...

or that genki sushi yet...

KJ Kenfield said...

Hi, just saw your post on eating your way through HI. Makes us homesick! Last time we were in Honolulu we did a cuisine tour w/ friends one afternoon/evening... Manapua & porkhash at Youngs, drinks at Horacio's, Sai Min at Washington Sai Min, Bubies for ice cream Mochi, Pot stickers at ?can't remember, and ended at Leonard's on Kapahulu for Malasadas - a fine dining overload.