Wednesday, December 07, 2011

God in the Disguises

Today in my Richard Rohr Daily Reading that comes via email, Rohr quotes Paula D’Arcy 
God comes to us disguised as our life.
Hmmm.  That's deep.  He quoted D'Arcy as he reflected on Mary:
The events of life are themselves Mary’s guide and teacher. She does not need to figure it out and plan accordingly; the plan will be given by God through life’s ordinary events and encounters. Reality itself is her teacher. That is why she could hear angels. And that is why she could hear Elizabeth. 
That's also deep.


This is why I love Richard Rohr.  He's so deep.  If only I could understand what he means half the time.


So here are the events of my life this week that I'm trying to understand God within:

  • Scott being out of town for 6 days this week in Las Vegas.  I trust him completely.  But a kid told me I should be worrying between the sexual temptation and gambling. . .
  • Struggling through the i-diet (read here for why):  2 whole days, yesterday only cheated with 1/2 cup white rice, some honey and sugar in tea and coffee, some half and half,  several chocolates, 4 parmesan croutons and a slice of french bread with butter.  OK.  That sounds like a lot of cheating--but I was at an all day/night work meeting with treats galore!
  • Feeling sandwiched between the needs of my parents and my kids in the 3rd week of my parents' stay
  • 1 kid saying she's hugging me so much (remember that physical affection is NOT my language of love) because we're not getting any special time together
  • Another kid making sarcastic comments about how I'm supposed to be available and NOT work while she's home as I'm trying to get a massive mailing out that needs all my free time this week
  • Another kid screaming that a sibling stepped on his giant Knex project and ruined it
Driving home with Ling from youth group on Sunday, we talked about the old adage, "If we pray for patience, God will put us in circumstances that require patience."  We both agreed that we hate that principle, even if it's true.  

For years and years I prayed every morning that God would give me the fruits of the Spirit:  love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and SELF-CONTROL!

I've never felt that God answered those prayers very well, although if the answer was putting me in situations that required those fruits, perhaps that was His answer.

Today I'm wishing God would disguise Himself a little less and show up tangibly a little more.

I guess that's the heart of an Advent prayer, isn't it?

No comments: